Request for Applications
UCSF Liver Center Pilot/Feasibility 2016 Program
Letter of Intent Due: Friday, January 8, 2016
Full Application Due (by invitation only): Friday March 4 , 2016
Advisory Board Project Presentation: Tuesday, April 19, 2016
Funding Period: June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017
The UCSF Liver Center is sponsoring an open Request for Applications (RFA) for Pilot/Feasibility Grants, which provide seed money to investigators who are attempting to launch new, liver-related research projects. The program supports both clinical and basic research relevant to the liver. The goal of the program is to enable investigators to test new hypotheses and obtain preliminary data that can ultimately be expanded into a grant application to NIH/NIDDK. The Center will be awarding four (4) one-year grants up to $30,000 with a start date of June 1, 2016.
What is the nature of the award?
The award is a one-year grant of up to $30,000 with no indirect costs. Funds can be used for salary, supplies and core services, but not equipment or travel. Prior awardees can submit a new application after a hiatus of 3 years.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must be affiliated with UCSF or one of its partner or neighboring institutions (UCSF, Gladstone Institute, BSRI, CPMC, UC Berkeley, CHORI, Stanford) and fall into one of the following categories of eligibility:
- New investigator engaged in liver-related research without current or past NIH support (as PI)
- Trainee investigator in liver research in a final transition to an independent career
- Established investigator outside hepatology with a new liver-related project
- Center member with a liver-related project representing a complete departure from prior research
What are the Center’s priorities in the review process?
- Applicants in categories 1 and 2 (new investigators) receive the highest priority.
- Applicants in category 3 (established investigators from outside the Center) are encouraged to apply if they intend to use Liver Center resources and become full participating members of the Center (see instructions).
- Applicants in category 4 (current Center members) are discouraged from submitting proposals in the absence of strong justification.
What types of research are eligible for Pilot/Feasibility Support?
- Cell and molecular biology
- Disease mechanisms and treatments/interventions
- Epidemiology and health outcomes
What types of research are not eligible?
- Health-related quality improvement
- Provider and patient education about liver disease
What is the application process?
Applicants must first submit a letter of intent, no more than one page in length, briefly describing the background and objectives of the proposed research project. The letter must be accompanied by a biosketch and a statement justifying eligibility. PLEASE NOTE the eligibility statement must include a paragraph indicating how the applicant intends to use the Center’s Core facilities and engage with the Center if funded.
(see website for downloadable instructions and forms).
Applicants selected to submit a full application will be notified in early February. Final applications are due on Friday, March 4, 2016. Final applicants will be required to present their proposed projects in-person to the Liver Center External Advisory Board on Tuesday, April 19, 2016. Awards will begin June 1, 2016.
What is the first phase of submission?
The deadline for receipt of letters of intent (letter + eligibility statement + biosketch as a single PDF) is 5PM on Friday, January 8, 2016. Please email letters of intent to Sandhya Adiyodi Veetil.